Saturday 12 October 2013

The Good Sweater

I've been meaning to write about the joys of a comfy sweater.  

Remember this one?
It is the Icelandic Overblouse from Elizabeth Zimmermann's Knit One Knit All.  I don't know if I could possibly say enough about this one sweater, but I can speak to what others should be as they try to be what this sweater is to me.

A good sweater, should be one you can put on and feel good about, even if it is not your perfect style.  A good sweater should be instantly warm around you.  It should never pull, twist or feel tight.  It should cling on certain spots and drape warmly around you in others. A good sweater makes whatever  you wear a significant style, even if the rest of your outfit is comprised of pajama pants. The best sweaters are a little oversized to wear over everything.  It could even be that a really good sweater needs to have just the tiniest bit of schleppiness about it.  It cannot be too fine, it just has to be right.  A good sweater needs to be something to throw on in the very early hours of the morning to stave off the early chill, long before anyone cares what they look like.

Ah the joys of a good sweater.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your sweater is lovely. I'm looking forward to knitting one of my own here soon!