Tuesday 8 October 2013

A knitting day

My that was lovely.  I knit.  I had such a good time that I even enjoyed doing laundry!

I worked on Viajante for a while.  

It is a long long way from finished but it is interesting how much this shows about the colours of this yarn.  I am not sure I love it and yet I don't dislike it, I am just in that middle.  I love the feel of the fabric though.  Garter stitch  with laceweight yarn unblocked is just yummy. 

I worked on Pepita till I ran out of yarn but that is a story for another day.  

What I really wanted to show you today is an old project finished many many months ago but not blocked till just recently.  Somewhere in among all the rest of this last few weeks busy days, I managed to steam block this shawl, and oh my do I love it.
It is the Lilia Hyrna from Clara Parkes Book of Wool.  I love the way it turned out, made just a little larger than the book because of the extra rows I tucked into the last red section.  For those few rows, the last black lace needed to be longer but it worked out perfectly.  It doesn't even look to be too strong of colours the way it all balanced itself out just so.  Well not to strong to me but then I like bright things and strong contrasts. But do you know what the best thing about this shawl is?

The best thing is how beautifully the yarn changes when you dampen it or wet it.  It becomes so soft and just clings perfectly around you.  It is the perfect sort of sigh to wear.  While I did not find it scratchy at all just perfectly right, your mileage may vary.  

I think I am in love with Icelandic laceweight.  Big love.  And now that they have flights direct from here to Iceland...well gee whiz.  

Who knows where this might end?  ; )

1 comment:

Brendaknits said...

Both those shawls are gorgeous. I like the black one especially. Did you have coffee on your lovely day?