Friday 13 July 2012

Things are crazy

Things are going crazy right now. High summer is a nutty time of year.  Knitting, ever my solace in a nutty world, is getting kicked badly and you know what?  I can feel it. Not a speck of knitting last night.

Or maybe its this:


Its very smoky here this morning from forest fires up north.  Its been horribly dry the last few weeks and this last week, very hot.  The great masses of fir and spruce are sitting there ready to be torches to whatever little thing comes along.  Its mother nature at her worst and best.  Forest fires have a job to do.  They cleanse the forest floor of deadfall that might otherwise choke new tree growth, they open up seed pods from some trees, so that the seeds can fall and be fertile, it opens up forest floors to green open areas for new grazing for wild animals.  From every fire, comes renewal.  It is just very hard to keep that part of a forest fire in mind in the modern world.  Its one of the places where mother natures wisdom and modern life do not play nice together.

If it isn't those, its the garden.  We went out to the garden last night to water, and I found so many good things.  I took home some baby beets and some lettuce.  I pulled the last of the radishes but not to eat.  They are done and any roots are woody and hard.  The potatoes are blooming.  In just a few weeks, I will be able to steal baby potatoes.  Yum, yum.  Tomatoes are blooming all over and there are some tiny wee tomatoes on the Tiny Tim tomatoes I put in.  This is the most prolific of any cherry or grape type tomato in this growing zone and I hope for a bumper crop.  

There are peas blooming.  There are pods all over the place.  

There are pods.  Pods.  Last summer everything was behind at least 3 weeks.  The peas didn't even look big enough to bloom in July wet cold and I didn't pick till the 3rd week of August if I recall right.  I suspect the next couple weeks are going to pea picking heaven this year.  While I like that, I confess, I am a little unprepared.  It seems to early, but in my heart, I know, and in comparison with my old garden records, this is the time they should be peaking.  Ready or not, I will be in pea mode soon.  I hope that we can keep them blooming through this heat.  Perhaps with heavy watering and a little grace, I will get twice the crop I had last year.  

Anyway, I'll do my best, knitting wise.  I hope to work on the pretty shawl made from the Mooi every day.  If I can do at least 4 long rows a day, I will be pleased with myself.  I do have that blanket to work on for brainless knitting and for take along knitting, I am dragging the pink sweater.  I'm on the last sleeve so not too much more there.  Its just round and round till its long enough.  Easy peasy.  Maybe socks if it gets really bad.  There are all those WIPs too, but lets not talk about that, OK?

It might not be knitting exciting, but there  might be photos of gardens and produce and piles of peas shells, so bear with me.  Its just the 'Things' part of the blog taking its turn.

And when all this is done, there will be baby knitting.  I'm really looking forward to the baby knitting.  My hands can hardly wait.

No comments: