Wednesday 25 July 2012

Baby Knitting

Our little foray to Saskatchewan last weekend resulted in one too short stop at the lovely Prairie Lily Needlework.  I had really limited time, but as usual, there is always something to see there.

I had been pondering this colour of Zauberball for some time.  It looks a little odd.  Not really great colours, just a little more yellow in that green than I usually go for, and yet, worked up, it is so stunning.  

The other thing Prairie Lily carries that just takes it over the top on the goodness scale, is a lot of local product. I would guess that some of it is consignment sales but no matter.  These are fantastic yarns.  I found a couple of skeins of pure Alpaca 3 ply from CaRia Royalty Ranch (no website but some contact info for you).  All the local alpaca I have is 2 ply, and I have to admit, I could get used to this 3 ply fast.  Its just has the most marvelous hand to it.  I can't wait to knit it.

That was it for yarny excursions.  Somewhere in the weekend,  I did manage  to get a round cast one for a baby t-shirt.  I did a lot of knitting on the way home.  I was almost to the under arms, when I took a good look at it and realized this thing would fit a 4 year old, not a baby.  So back to the drawing board.


I cast on about 40 fewer stitches and its size is looking much better and knitting up very fast.  If I may just say, yet again, how much I love knitting with Sandnesgarn Mini Duett.  It is just the nicest blend of wool and cotton.  It just feels like I am home as it runs through my hands.  Its a fingering weight so it is fine and light and the wool should keep it all in shape.

There is no pattern for this.  The ones I found online are all sadly lacking, so I will just knit a basic T-shirt with set in sleeves.  I'm going to do it with a placket and buttons or snaps at the neck and with set in baby sleeves.  Fold-over shoulders would work too, but they tend to be just a little more fussy to keep tidy when baby wears them.  If I could only be sure that my cast off would be loose enough...sigh.  I've not decided if the sleeves will be long or short.  I suspect short but the spirit might move me to long.  Depends on how it is all goes and how much yarn it takes.  I have 4 skeins and hope to keep it to 2 skeins so that there will be 2 wee t-shirts.  The plan is for something wearable under jumpers and with sweet baby jeans and under sweet little sweaters like Baby Kina .  A wardrobe staple, baby style.

Did I mention I love baby knitting?  I do.  What will be next?  So many sweet things...


No comments: