Tuesday 31 July 2012

A 'New' Book

The other day son1 and wife stopped by my desk for a quick visit.  They brought some goodies, one of which was this interesting 'new' book.  

Practical Home Knitting published in 1949 by Oldhams out of Liverpool.  Its a very interesting book.  It still has some of the war years practical knitting, but it takes it just a little farther.  Skirts and blouses are poufy.  Plenty of fabric is once again, fashionable.

Its an interesting mix of patterns.  A lot of them are downright modern looking.  If you add just the tiniest bit more room in the armscye, you would be wondering who this hot new designer was and what else has she designed.  

Some are perfect just the way they are.

I would wear this at the drop of a hat.

Practically perfect.  And because I am very sure someone out there will be interested,

Fortunately, I'm going to give this set a miss.
Though, now that I think about it, I could always use a nice camisole.

The book covers the whole family and kids of all ages, but I will desist.  I will show you my picks of the litter in the category that most excites me right now.

awwwwww

You have to look past the bow and the oddball hair.  The dress is a winner.
Now if that isn't a vision of Scout Finch from to Kill a Mockingbird, nothing is.  And I have the demin yarn to do it.

And finally, oh be still my beating heart,
The most perfect of all baby rompers.  I have to knit this for next spring.

I know I going a little googly over the baby things.  I am trying not to, but it is so hard.  And the projects are so cute.  Oh who am I kidding.  Only a stone cold heart wouldn't.  Warm fuzzies abound, I tell you while looking at these things.

Makes me think my grown boys are very glad that I didn't knit when they were small. Well, I did, but only the very littlest bit. Had I knit, they might have worn this, coordinating just like this little guy with his sister.
A little boys 4 piece set, crisp tam and all.  Now ain't that jest swell.

;)

I love these old books.  There is more but I'll save that for another day when the knitting is scant and the garden chores take precedence.  

No comments: