Wednesday 20 June 2012

Also Purple

Used to be that a sweater was a sweater, a scarf a scarf,  and a shawl, a shawl or that pretty lace shawl.  Since Ravelry, or maybe even earlier, since Knitty, your projects and patterns have got to have a name.

It was kind of nice to be able to talk about a pattern and call it a Liesl and have everyone you were talking to about it, know exactly which sweater you meant.  

Now however if you said a Liesl, they wouldn't even be able to tell if you were knitting a garment or a fancy little haeadband or if you name was Liesl, which must be really hard if your name is Liesl.

Its bad enough with pattern names, but now, because I put my projects on Ravelry, I feel compelled to give my project a name.  A sub name.  A name to identify it among the other 10,000 projects, or to identify which of two my two of that pattern it is.

Though I have never knit with Seduce before and I have never knit a Shape It Scarf before, I keep having this very strong sense of deja vu.  I submit:

a very lovely Bitteroot (see?) knit out of the stunning Flaxen from Handmaiden in a lucious purple.  The more I wear this, the more I love it.  The flax and silk just get better and better and better.

I submit item 2.


Also purple made of Seduce, which everyone says just gets better and better and better.  Also linen and silk with significant parts of rayon and a little bit of nylon.  

Not the same at all, but both neck things, fairly similar in texture, and in colour (The second picture is really dull.  The yarn is not), different patterns, and yet, this one is going to be called Also Purple.  

Because, as you can see, it is also purple.  

Did I mention I struggle when I have to come up with cool names?

No comments: