Tuesday 29 May 2012

Weeping and gnashing of teeth

This is a tale of weeping and gnashing of teeth.  It will be short because I am going upstairs and I intend to have a good stiff drink. 

And then I will have another.

I am ready to start doing the lace panels on Gregale.  The lace panels will very cleverly hide all in increases I need in the patterning.  Or they will kill me.

I tried to simply chart it out.  It is a really simple pattern and you would think that charting it to increase should be easy peasy.  

Then I knit the pattern from the bottom up just as written so that I could get a feel for how the increases worked in.  That went OK, so I tried the increasing.  that would be the middle.  The direction of the lines is very very important and with the conversion to my continental knitting on flat work, I have to switch the chart for the back to knit on the first side I come to and the chart for the front to the first back section. (edited to explain the problem correctly.)

If that sentence doesn't make sense to you...well it is indicative of the way this is going.  I knit and reknit that center section a bunch of times and was beginning to see the light.  

Then I had to stop and go to work.  I started again and changed out the charts and it seemed to be going on.  It looks pretty good in the picture but I have to go back 3 rows because there is something different between the two sides of the work. I get the general layout of the lace patterns, but I tell you the increases are making me nuts. 

Just when I think I have it and am ready to write out a quick to follow chart, it doesn't work out.

So, think of me while you knit.  I'll be the blithering idiot in the corner writing on the wall, I love knitting, I love knitting.  If you get a minute, I could probably use a pat on the back.  

And if you could see yourself clear to sharpen my pencil, I'd appreciate it.  

1 comment:

Sandra said...

pat, pat, pat...
And it's always the simplest things that give us the most grief...