Friday 24 February 2012

And a Wee Bit More

I'm taking it to Friday with last weekends knitting!

As I mentioned, I did a good and deep dig in the yarn stash.  One of the things that struck me was how many lone balls of yarn I have.  I don't mean the sock yarn.  I mean the stuff that is 100 metres at all kinds of weights.  I have some very lovely yarns in this category and though some of them were bought for mittens or hats, many were given to me.  For many of them, 1 ball is all I will ever have.  Such is the land of the discontinued yarn.  I suppose I could search Ravelry for some, but really, there are so many other good things out there, that if find a pattern I just have to knit, I'd start with new yarn choices, or choices where I have plenty of yarn in the stash.  I wouldn't even consider these.  These loner balls are just going to have to be  small things.

When I get and idea, I'd like to use them up.

So as I said I was digging and came across some Chunky Misti Alpaca.  My fingers, it seems, much though they love working with simpler types of yarns, wanted to knit some buttery soft slippery yarns.  Out the 3 different loner balls came.

And turned into these...

First off, the basic unshaped tube Cowl.  It is really wonderful in this kind of yarn and it shows off the soft colours perfectly.

And a plain ribbed scarf, just perfect for filling in necklines of coats on cold winter days.  

I didn't finish the third, but there isn't any rush.

Since winter gave it a miss here this year, I will be waiting for next year to use them...

2 comments:

Sel and Poivre said...

What a perfect use for that multi coloured yarn...that cowl is fabulous!

Sigrun said...

As I'm reading this it is cold and snowing, so you'll get to wear them after all. Did you just jinx the nice weather?