Friday 14 October 2011

At Loose ends

I'm sitting here contemplating loose ends.  Not knitting lose ends.  Heaven knows there is enough yarn here and more desired projects than I can begin to list, and I have a sweater to finish before Christmas and a bunch of other stuff on the go too. Plenty to knit.  Plenty of Knitting ends, few of them loose.

I'm at loose ends because I had a plan for this week and it isn't happening because of my faulty memory.  I thought it was supposed to happen on Thursday and my whole week was built around it. Week went just right till Thursday.  Even Thursday was going right till about 10 a.m. when I realized that Wednesday had been the 12th, and there was no possible way Thursday could be the 18th.  No.  It happens on Tuesday the 18th.

It was a little deflating. I really don't want to drive in to town and I don't have the mental capacity to work using my slow home internet.  I likely will do one or the other, but I am not sure I have the mental capacity for it. If my capacity is small and my network is slow, I ought to deliberately go slowly forward and tackle the things that are giving me trouble. It sounds a little counter-intuitive, doesn't it.

Its like when I am trying to work through a challenging instruction while knitting something.  If I go slower than seems possible and take it one instruction at a time, if I focus one one small stitch over and over...

I will peel off the icky parts, struggle through the slowness.  All the more time to really absorb it.

I figure that if there are frequent knitting breaks through the day, I just might survive. If I get the sweater front done today, that means the breaks were about right.

There. I feel better now. Loose ends defeated by a plan of attack and couple simple goals.  Plow through the parts I am not having fun with in my work and a knit goal to reward me and save my sanity.

2 comments:

Brendaknits said...

LOL Your loose ends and my loose ends must be related.

Sel and Poivre said...

Oh I find there is nothing better than a plan - it fixes almost anything!