Tuesday 6 September 2011

Baby Knits

One would think that a long weekend would mean a lot of knitting.  One would expect so.  I know I did.  But that isn't what happened.  Sort of.

I worked on a sleeve on the Cerisara.  My goodness, I enjoy knitting that lovely pattern.  I might just knit it forever.  I certainly will if I keep knitting the way I did this weekend.  

I knit about 6 inches after the sleeve cap and realized that I had dropped a stitch about 4 inches back. Not really a dropped stitch, but rather a missed yarn over right at the beginning of a round.  So down and back and fix it.  Then I knit about 3 inches and was sitting back admiring how it all looked when I noticed that right back at the point I first pulled back to, I knit an extra plain round.  That extra sticks out like a sore thumb and has to come out.   I almost completed the sleeve and yet...So it goes.  Sigh.

I like Cerisara a lot but there is a tiny part of me that is starting to recall exactly why I put things down for months on end.

It was easy to be distracted from knitting that wasn't working out.  A new great nephew was born.  Quinn made his grand entrance Saturday afternoon when dad was trying to finish his lawn sprinkler installation.  The sprinklers will wait.

I don't knit for each and every great niece or nephew that shows up.  I used to feel guilty when I didn't but you know what?  The year of 4 in 2 months cured me of that.  When I can, I do. When I can't, I don't worry.  This time, with a sweater that is knitting backwards as much as forwards, I can make time. With glee.

I played around with a few different ideas and came up with just a plain garter stitch sweater.  Plain with a twist.

I have a good supply of Baby Ull on hand, but the white ran out a couple projects ago.  I have no pink, and one lone pastel blue.  There is some yellow and lavender, bright turquoise and spring green.  

I've been waiting for a young man to need turquoise and green.  It is one of my favourite colour combinations.  And plain garter stitch shows off the striking contrast so well.

I'll use the plain turquoise for button bands and hem, but the body of the sweater will be one ridge garter stripes.  I'm very pleased with the way it looks so far.  

The next few days I'll play with this.  Quinn was a big baby so he will be able to wear the 6 months size in short order. I'll knit till this is done and then back at my sweater.    

There might be music in Cerisaras lace pattern, but it is hard to get past garter stitch for good old fashioned comfort knitting.

No comments: