Tuesday 20 September 2011

And now for something completely different!

And yet, sort of the same now that I think of it.  After finishing Cerisara, I dug through the WIP basket.  I don't so much as make a decision to work on a thing as to pick up what the spirit moves me to work on.  

Just the other day I had assigned this to the ho hum, probably going to be tossed pile.  Yet, when it was time to move on to another project, I felt the lovely green wool and was inspired to see what I could do.

The wool is 770 m of Rennaissance, a now sadly discontinued yarn from Classic Elite.  I wish I had known this yarn before it was discontinued.  A stash could only be better for having some.  The pattern is the really sweet little Watershed from Amy Swenson of Indigirl Knits 

Like my version of Cerisara,  this is a little vest which is designed to be worn open. Its skims your back keeping the chill off without being all encompassing like a cardigan.  It's the perfect all season piece that everyone could use.  It's pretty without being fussy. 
 
It had been tossed into the bin because of an error.  I had tried to fix the error with no luck, so I knew I was going to have to rip back to before the error.  I did that, but then the most amazing thing happened.

I picked up all the stitches.  Considering that there were yarn overs on every row, I was beyond pleased.  Then I figured out which row of the lace I was on.  It was so natural, so easy to sort out.  Then I knit up all the yarn that was out of the ball.  I was back to where I was before I ripped, pristine and ready to conquer the world or at the very least, this project. 

In under an hour, I ripped back, picked up, figured it out and re-knit.  1 hour.  It sat for 10 months because it needed one hour of thoughtful work.  

The picture was taken Sunday evening.  I was about ready to split for the arms.  I did not spend much time on it yesterday, but even so I've rejoined and have begun the raglan decreases.  

My definition of fun includes finishing two projects in a week.  Two garments?  So much better.  But this?  This is so far above mere finishing.  This is something I never even thought about, never imagined.  

There is a dip in the WIP basket.  Be still my beating heart. 


No comments: