Tuesday 28 December 2010

Distracted

I'm not much of a technophile but I am not a Luddite either.  I am simply aware of how tied to a technology we can become and that sometimes the weight of technology, like everything else in life, can become a burden.  

 I usually try not to burden myself too much.  I have a basic phone.  I have an ordinary small laptop.  

My kids got me a Sony Reader, the little Touch model, and I find I am quite enjoying it.  I have loaded a bunch of free books, classics and good old standards, Some Agatha Christie,  a traveling library of sorts, that I could read and entertain myself with no matter how long I am stuck in a place.  

The very first thing I loaded was something dear to my heart.  The Ladies Work Table Book by an Anonymous source, a wee compendium of needle techniques published in 1844, a Lace making manual form 1891 and Beeton's Book of Needlework from 1870. 

There is something so right about loading these very old things onto such a new technology.  

No comments: