Wednesday 24 November 2010

Seed Catalogues

As we go into the deepest darkest part of winter, there is one thing to keep you looking forward, to keep the dark wonter night at bay.  Seed catlaogues!  The first of mine has arrived!

Way back when I was young and growing my first gardens, I found T & T Seeds in the adds in one of the farm papers.  They sold pea seeds in large quantities at half the cost of anywhere else.  In those days, cost was everything.  I was hooked.

I have always kept up an association with them, though in this yard,    there was always a strong focus towards the shade plants.  Hostas, 
and ligularias and all sorts of lovely plants that thrive in sheltered, dense shade.  

Now, with the farm ready for next year, I will think of sunflowers 

and Four O'clocks

I shall think of  plums


and red and golden raspberries
(all but the first photo are from the T & T Seeds catalogue)


This time, I got too look at it and know that come spring, I will be planting for the sun. I can take that wee fact out and think of it, any time I feel the dark long winter setting itself just a little too firmly in my soul. 

2 comments:

Sandra said...

being firmly entrenched in small yard suburbia, I don't use seed catalogues, but I get some, and of course, I love my lee Valley catalogues. They really do make me think of spring, and planting, and summer and green things growing.

Anonymous said...

It will be so much fun for you to peruse the catalogues this winter. Bunches and bunches of things that wouldn't work at your yard. Have fun! GD