Wednesday 10 November 2010

Of Rights and Wrong Again.

Have you ever completely lost your sense of direction?  You know, where north becomes south and west, east, where familiar landmarks approached at a slightly different angle become something completely unrecognizable?  

That is exactly how I feel as I work on Watershed.  I have lost my sense of direction over some small but very important words. This is not a criticism of the pattern.  I cannot see how she could possibly have made it clearer.  No the fault, as usual lies with this knitter.

I am onto the body knitting now, which has lace panels at each front edge and a lace panel up the centre of the back.    There are three charts, a centre chart, a left chart and a right chart.  

Which do I follow when?  Right side of fabric or right edge?  Reading charts from the right or reading charts from the left?  Left edge of right chart? Right edge of left chart?

Its not a difficult knit. The lace is simple, but you do have to do the right thing at the right time, and the right time to do the right side is not always the right I am thinking of.  

It is a pattern that feels intuitive but I am already aware that the moment I feel comfortable with it, is the moment I have to watch carefully.  I am about to commit knitting that cannot be corrected.

The funny thing is that the re-knitting I am doing is Ok.  Really Ok.  I feel good when I do it because I know that when I do it again, I will be doing it right.  (Maybe left)     

It occurs to me that just like when I get comfortable with a pattern, that the moment I am really really OK with re-knitting is probably a warning sign.  It likely is the moment that I should recognize I have completely lost it.  


1 comment:

Mrs.Spit said...

sometimes,a lot of time really, I think life is like that. If you think you know what you are doing, you are probably doing it wrong.