Wednesday 11 August 2010

Mail Man

In my part of Alberta, we don't get mail delivery at our house, and we don't have delivery to a local post office.  We pick up our mail at a Superbox (are they still calling them that) just down the road.  Superboxes mean that packages up to a certain size can be picked up there too.  On parcel days they leave you a nice red key for one of the parcel compartments.

Yesterday I got a red key.  It was unexpected.  I mean, I knew I had a package coming, but this one came weeks faster than I expected.  It was lovely.

The red Icelandic lace is direct from the source via my friend who went to Iceland.  I picked up the cream to use along with it to make the Lilia Hyrna shawl.  

I had begun a Lilia Hyrna with a sport weight Shetland yarn.  I was in the process of taking it out because of one small mistake in each portion of the knitting.  I did not think it would make a difference to the rhythm of the pattern, but it did.   This was happening right when Frazzled Knitter gave me the magnificent Icelandic yarn the pattern was designed for so I decided to change course entirely.  My Lilia Hyrna will now be as it was meant to be.  

My package contained the nice creamy natural laceweight and several other things.   This was my first order from Schoolhouse and if I am going to order one thing, I might as well pick up a few other things. I bought a book and a few patterns.  

Getting things at the mailbox is fun. It makes me wish for the days when people wrote letters and every day you could have notes from friends in your mailbox.  Or is the want for that, just a holdover from reading the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society?  Still, it was a nice surprise to find waiting at the end of the street.  

1 comment:

Christine said...

I am so happy to hear that your Schoolhouse Press order came straight to the mailbox. I was wondering about that. Beautiful yarn!