Tuesday 29 June 2010

Wondering Why

I was knitting a sample for the store last weekend, just a simple linen stitch scarf.  Should have been easy.  Should have been rhythmic.  Instead, it was painful and irritating. Not physically painful, but deeply mentally distressing.  

It had a rhythm.  It flowed and moved along with ease.  It should have been just my thing, but it wasn't.  Why is it that one simple thing will strike a chord and resonate within, leading you down its path.  Why is it that another leaves you cold?  

After two evenings and a morning, spent struggling with it, I gave up.  I knit a little lace scarf, 198 yds. of Heaven.  It practically knit itself, and every stitch was a symphony.  By evening I had it blocking. I delivered it yesterday.  

The lace resonated in a pleasing way.  Its harmonics soothed my soul.  The linen stitch was serious discord.     

No comments: