Tuesday 29 September 2009

Running Blind

I've been working with a lovely ball of an Arucania hand dyed. When I saw the new Knitty, I knew that Colonnade was perfect for it. I was pretty sure that the new south side River City Yarns store (yes there are 2 locations, with just a little different yarn selection) had exactly the second yarn I would need, in just the right colour and they did. The rich deep blue is Meritwist, a thick yummy yarn, two strands of their Merisoft yarn spun together.

I started this project the day I first saw the fall Knitt. Following the pattern, I began on 6 mm needles, but I wasn't pleased with the fabric it made. The fabric turned out too firm. My yarn choice was a bulkier than Manos Classica. I ripped and reknit on an 8 mm needle. Much better.

Because I had worked to the lace once before, I was pretty comfortable with the pattern. When I got to the lace, I gave my usual attention to reading the pattern (IE, not much, scant, minuscule) and knit away. Just as I was ready to splice on the final ball of yarn, I thought I'd like to see how it was looking. I put the wrap on a long cable, and checked. I was really pleased but for one thing. Well, two. I could see that two rib increase lines, looked very different than the rest.

This is a shot of one of the ribs I was sure I was right on. Note the lovely flared away from the centre look.


And this is a shot of one of the ones I was not sure about. See the parallel lines?

My heart fell. The yarns were so pleasing, everything was working up so fast, so pleasantly. How could I have done this? The whole idea of ripping back was staring me in the face, and all I could do was weep. I was 2/3 complete and I did a big thing wrong. The idea of looking at the pattern to see what I ought to have done was so appalling I put the project down and went to bed.

This morning, after a bracing cup of coffee, I felt strong enough to check the pattern. I knit it right. There are two different increase lines (scroll to the bottom photo). I have not screwed up.

Let me repeat that again. I have not screwed up. It might be a while till I can say this again about my knitting, and I want to say this as often as I can. Not a screw up. A little positive reinforcement is never a bad thing.

You know the old song, " running blind, running free, running into the sun....I don't know what I'm running from, I'm just running... running on...." (Jakcson Browne)

That pretty much sums up my approach to knitting. Knitting blind, knitting free. Yup.

**Jo, and that is how I sounded so causal with the steeking. Steeking blind. I'll never be so casual again.

No comments: