Monday 28 September 2009

Flinging yarn

Well, I've finished the baby sweater and I am pleased, tickled pink, and just utterly delighted at what happened when I started flinging yarn about without a pattern. It needs finishing. Tons of ends to weave in - you'd think I could have remembered to work in the ends as I went, but no. I'm not that smart. Except for a few occasions, these ends need to be worked in. It needs small facings knit (or sewn in if I can find a sturdy looking jersey knit fabric) to cover and tidy up the rough steeked edges. The button holes need to be reinforced with a nice crisp bit of embroidery. And it needs a good blocking too.

I am so pleased. Dancing about the room pleased. Flying to the moon pleased.

I still have a ton of yarn, so I am going to make a pair of jeans from that delightful Blu pattern from Knitty, and if there still is yarn left, I'll attempt to make a hat or socks or something.

Note to self, you don't need the a full bag of yarn (10 balls) if all you plan to make is a baby sweater. Even if you are an obsessive worrier about running short of yarn.

1 comment:

Jo at Celtic Memory Yarns said...

I adore that little jacket! And you talk so confidently, so casually about steeking... I was in a Norwegian yarn shop one day and she was just as offhand about the terrifying task.

Thanks for the link to that nice stretchy cast off on your previous posting too, by the way. Already knew the EZ sewn bind off (from Sock Madness in fact), but not this one.