Thursday 12 March 2009

So over Red

I've had a 'thing' for reds for a very long time. I always had something red to wear. I had several lovely dresses in reds all through my life. When I was a kid colouring with my dad, I remember the 'swell' red dresses he made for all the little girls dresses. (I think he did this to tease us) But this past winter, since early last fall in fact, my soul was on a misson for the right red. What set it off was a particular shade of red Cloud Cotton. This red set off a search for the right red, the red that would be perfect.

I looked for a long time, and like most searches for perfection, did not find perfection, but came up with several pretty darn goods. I have a rusty red Donna from Scheepjeswol, colour 612, and the more purple fuschia red 610. I have a garnet red from Elann's Sierra Aran line and, most recently, this lovely Cloud Cotton Red, that I could never quite get out of my head.

Yesterday more of the Cloud Cotton found its way to the store, and I swear that another colour has taken me into its feindish clutches.

Yellow. There is a Cloud Cotton Yellow that is so soft and warm that it is like butter cream. Like the soft Sunday lemon of a lemon merigue pie when you make it yourself from real fresh lemons. It is a yellow you can wrap yourself up in and just feel good about the world.

I already like yellow. My study is yellow, a strong clear, wake me in the morning yellow. If I had a white kitchen, the curtains would be yellow ( these were my colours at the farm kitchen.) My favourite dress of all time, was yellow. My bridesmaid dresses were yellow (but this wasn't a choice, it was kismet. The dresses were on sale, they had sizes for all the bridesmaids. But they were nice dresses.) Yellow just makes me feel good even if it isn't my favourite colour. Really, it isn't. Red is my favourite colour. You'd think I would be immune to the power of yellow yarn.

But no. I fell for a bag full of yellow yarn, like a moth to a light in the night, I fell hard.

Its a really nice yellow, and yellow is a good colour to be surrounded with. but I already have a yellow sweater, and I just don't need another.

Maybe I could need a yellow scarf? I'll have to think about that.

No comments: