Tuesday 24 March 2009

The Next Big Thing

I worked on the Clapotis last evening till I just could not stay awake any longer. The first sad thing about that statement is that it was 9:30 and the second is that I was not knitting, I was re-knitting.

Clapotis is such a rhythmic thing and every once in a while I find myself counting each and every stitch. I came to a section where I did not have 3 stockinette stitches in a row, the rhythm was gone, and a quick search some 15 or so rows below revealed a dropped stitch.

Part of me said to leave it, to put it away and not look at it again for a while, but I really like this scarf so I shut that inner voice up, and carefully went back and tried to repair it. No good. It didn't work in part because the yarn is not a woollen or animal fibre. No stretch and no rebound meant that the stitches looked oddly pulled, so I went back row by row (I didn't want to interfere with the dropped stitch area I had to go past) and carefully picked apart to the error and re knit. And then put it down and went to bed.

Almost. There is always something new to think about and lately when I am thinking, its about the next project. I need a couple of sweaters for work. Or tops. I need something just a little different to give my collection of tees a lift. And to make it seem like I actually have some clothes. The silly thing is I have lots of clothes but I can't wear all the nice polyester blouses I used to wear to an office job here. It has to be a natural fibre so my skin can breathe.

I have that lovely red Cloud Cotton to work on, but I have not decided what I want to do with that, I have some cotton and some linen that I really want to use for a t type top. I have a rather funky textured blue yarn that I know what I want to do with (EZ polo neck shirt) but it needs small needles, and I'm just not mentally ready for that yet. I have some lovely soft cotton coloured in what the maker calls Victorian Grape and I know what I want from that but I think its going to be more wintry than summery so I'll leave that till later in the year. That leaves me with a nice pile of cotton viscose that I bought with the gift certificate the kids gave me for Christmas.

I love the sheen of this yarn. I always have from the first time I saw it. (I must be on a sheen kick)

And I came across an interesting little pattern from Amy over at the Hook and I.

I've been looking for a trendy little topper that would look good on me. I love the February Lady sweater, but it isn't going to do anything for a hippy, short person, and the Leisl isn't much better. That open bottom short cardy look just isn't a good one for me. This one will do though. The design doesn't count on an open cardigan front to make the look. It relies on the yoke to carry the day.

I love the round construction and the design on the yoke. I love the way the sleeve caps get just past that fugly bit of arm. I love the way the design changes to something that is as simple and quick as single crochet, but doesn't leave you with single crochets very linear look.

And I love that it is top down all in one piece. It means that I can work it to size and adjust for fit as I go. Amy designed this with the idea that sizing is something you do for yourself, based on you. A few quick calculations and **bing**, you have it. Though the calculations probably will need some tweaking to account for the differences we plus size ladies need (like a deeper yoke), they are going to be reasonably close.

Last evening before I went to bed, I swatched. I'm going to finish Clapotis this morning, and then am picking up my hook and setting to work.


Knits are being abandoned round here with ease and I have the perfect excuse. 'But it's for winter, I need summer' is my new motto.

No comments: