Friday 27 March 2009

I started a crochet sweater yesterday. I love the way the yarn, Cotton Viscose, works up. It has a sheen to it without being overpowering. I don't love is the way the yarn splits. I know that when I knit it previously, I found makes a beatuiful thing, but you must take care not to get between strands. Same with crochet. You have to take care.

The upside is that I'm working to stay slow and clean so my tension is really nice. When I get going in crochet, I have a tendency to zone out, let my hands fly, and sometimes, the work isn't as tidy as I wish for. Slow is a good thing.

It's a while since I did anything this big in crochet. I think my crochet muscles are a little underused and under worked. By the end of the afternoon, I had to put it down and leave it, and this morning I can feel it in my arm. Seems I'll have to be using a wee bit of common sense about the amount of time I put in on this project. Now if only I could find a little more common sense.

To keep my hands busy without putting any further stress on my wrists, I picked up something new. Its a new colour from Noro, in the Kureyon Sock yarn and to me, it looks like the colours of the forest floor. It was irresistable. From the beginning, I wanted a shawl from it. You can never have too many shawls. This is a simple design, one I have used before.
Its the Eye of Partridge Shawl, one I worked up just after Christmas. Its a lovely thing, the stitch gives it just enough interest to keep the knitting from being boring, it moves fast because you slip every second stitch on the knit side rows, and blends and softens the colours of multi colour yarns. I'm not sure that this will happen with the Noro. Noro still is Noro, with its long colours and slow changes, but the pattern will add a little lift to the thick and thin of the yarn. The subtle texture means the light catches differently giving the finished shawl just a hint of another dimension.

I do have two balls and thought about working from both at once, but I'm taking the lazy man's way, one ball at a time. I want the long colours to remain.

Today is a round of errands, and knitting after lunch, and yes Cotton Crafter, those things are in my front entrance and are coming with me today. (you would not believe how long she has been waiting for me to remember these things) Its probably a good thing I can't sit home and crochet. It will give my hands a chance to rest.


2 comments:

yellojkt said...

Those are gorgeous. And so intricate as well.

jill said...

These shawls are gorgeous, I would love to see what you do with the noro yarn as well, I have seen it in the ball but never knit up or crocheted.