Monday 16 March 2009

Endings

I devoted the weekend to finishing a few little things. Too many little things were piling up close to finished. Too many things close to being done can become a real burden for me. It isn't that I don't have WIP's of long standing. I can ignore the big things for months and months. These small things, all sitting there just needing a couple of hours of work till they can be put away, used or given can be too heavy a load to bear.

First on the complete me pile, was the little scarf made from the skein of yarn my sister gave me from Sundog Alpacas out of Saskatoon. I've followed the Vicuna Scarf pattern from 101 'Small Indulgences: Luxury Yarn One Skein Wonders' It turned out to be the right pattern for the yarn. It holds the ridges beautifully, it shows off great depth and flow and the scarf looks an awful lot like its source. It isn't vicuna, but it is very very nice.

Then I worked on making the edging to the little baby blanket I have been working on. As ever, the internal debate about what to do went on way to long. Waaaaay to long. I'm going to do a nice little hammed edging. I started with the blue, the smallest amount of yarn remaining, and I'm putting yellow on next, and then I'll use the orange to do the rest. The orange should be able to do one row and turn, and then the full backside. It will give the blanket the weight it needs on the edge, and won't be so fussy as some of the other edgings I played around with last week.

And finally, as my dinner was cooking, I finished the first grey Trekking 6 ply sock. The second is well under way, too, and I hope over the next few days to be ready to put heels on the pair. I am impressed with this yarn not just because socks work up so fast in it, but I really really like the colours. I may have to pick up just a little more for Mr. Needles. He could use more socks.


Since half the fun of getting to endings is seeing new beginnings and as busy as my hands have been, my head has been even busier.

Once the blanket and the socks are done, I am going back to play with the lacy bits I showed you last week. I have a plan for a little lacy scarfette.

I also have that fleece. I'm going to pick the first nice day to get to some of that. Been reading up on working with fleece, in particular this very long double coated fleece.

Looking forward, planning out like this might drive some people batty, but it is why I finish a lot of the times. The last bits of a project, where I know what I am doing, where I don't have to wonder is this going to be long enough, will I run out of yarn, will it fit, are a gift in a way. They are free minutes where I can just let my imagination soar. I don't have to do any of these things, but I might. The dreaming about what might be, among these many possible and achievable goals, all these open possibilities are what keep me sane with my feet on the ground.

Well, that and playing with string of course. I'm not the same person when I can't play with string....

No comments: