Wednesday 17 December 2008

Hyper-focus

One of the nicest things about gift knitting is a having a deadline. You can't waffle and wimp out when you don't feel like it, you can't play around and say well, you'll get it done next week, or Tuesday you will work on it again. You have a calendar date and you are compelled by everything your momma taught you that these gifts are going to get done. If not, you will have to go out and shop. In malls. Or other stores. If that isn't motivation, I don't know what is.

I fudged around with things all year and finishing felt forever far away, but look at this.

Second to last hat. A scarf for my mother which turned out really really well. So well, that I am making one just like it for my daughter in law. Two completed items since yesterday morning at about this time. Two things which yesterday morning, were not half done. Seriously smoking needles were happening here.

With a deadline like this, I go into hyper focus mode. Knitting in hyper focus mode means I don't really see anything else, I hear little, and if the work is in hand, I might look like I exist in this world, but I'm not so sure I do. There is only the needles, the yarn and my hands.

With these two done, there are only two must do projects still to complete. Both are hats. One is needed for Thursday evening, but I am confident that I can complete that with no problems.

The other is a sorrier tale. I've been looking for the yarn I purchased for my dad's scarf for two days now. I have gone through every container in that room, and every project bag, and every little tiny space, and I cannot find the yarn. So I have to pick up some yarn for one of these really nice hats I am making. And a pair of mittens.

In a way, these simpler items made in a very ordinary yarn, Cascade 220, might suit my dad better. The doubled strands form a really thick warm squooshable fabric that hugs your head and feels warm the moment you put them on. I think he might actually use this hat when he steps out for his walks. The hat is going to be a little hard to resist.

Even with only two musts remaining, there will be knitting right up to Christmas. If I can, I'd like to make some mittens to match all these toques.

And then there is that darn pair of black socks.


No comments: