Friday 26 September 2008

Fluff and Nonsense.

I do yarn things for a lot of reasons and one of them is to ease a weary soul. When things get me down, if I crochet and knit, I come away with a clearer focus of what to do next. There are a lot of things happening in the world right now that we have little control over and the ride may be bumpy for some of us. If you are worried, I just want to say, we will get through, we will survive.

I'm not saying it is going to be easy. I'm not saying our lives are going to continue on in the same way, I'm saying we will get by and we will survive. One way or another. It is a road I have traveled on before, and you can focus on the grim stuff, or you can focus on the good things you see along the way. I simply choose to focus on the good.

And on that note, I had a fun day yesterday. I felt like looking at books yesterday morning, and came across a herringbone pattern. I decided to knit a scarf using the pattern and went to the stash and picked up two balls of Patons SWS soy wool blend. I never thought much about the balance of the pattern. I assumed I would have a nice ordinary scarf with an interesting pattern.

I do have an interesting pattern but the finished scarf is not at all ordinary.



Pinned out, it's a nice design. Unpinned it is splendid, twisting in a long and lovely spiral. The stitches flow in a strong bias while forming this herringbone stitch, and from the third row, the fabric want to be angles. Once the scarf was a foot long, it started to reveal its inner soul and twist into the spiral.

I could fight it with a good stiff blocking but I'd rather just enjoy what is there.

I have a lovely new spiral scarf.

1 comment:

Sandra said...

I love it! There's not always a need to do EVERYTHING a pattern says. I'd keep the spiral as well.