Monday 4 August 2008

Itchy Fingers

I don't know if other people who do handwork get this same feeling, but every once in a while... OK, a lot of the time, as I approach a finish, I am very busy thinking about what is next. I had a severe case of itchy fingers, and instead of finishing my on the go things, sewing and otherwise, I played around with something new. For some time now, I have been contemplating a sweater for SS. After many long months searching for a pattern, I came up with Drops 103-16 .

We will of course make some changes. Nothing big though. The body will be a bit longer, and we are choosing the long sleeve option, and last, we are changing the collar into a hood. Not too substantial. No waist shaping to add since the ribbed design will take care of the fit, so I am looking forward to a nice tidy, easy knit. (This is where I start to worry when I think something is a nice easy knit)
The FilTweed we are using for this project was not the original yarn choice. In fact we have gone through 3 yarn choices for SS's sweater. I have a lovely mossy tweeded green Jaegerspun Heather that was SS's original yarn choice, but I wanted that for myself. Then I picked up some Cascade 220 in a wonderful loden colour, but I just could not get past the part both SS and I loved about the Heathers yarn. We loved how Heathers had other colours mixed in making up the tweed. I searched for a long time for something that had that same effect, and found the Filtweed on a bottom shelf at the store, looking just a might forlorn. It is forlorn no longer and it is exactly right for this sweater. See how there are tiny flecks of green and yellow and blue mixed in there? It is going to keep this very plain patterned sweater from being just a little to plain.

Megan asked about running out of water. Our water is an issue here. We have a well with a lot of water, an almost inexhaustible supply. The water quality is less than perfect. Though the health department says it is safe for human consumption, it tastes like soap. Coffee that tastes like soap is darned awful, and tea is even worse, so we haul drinking water from town. As to the question about how we ran out of water, I normally would say that would be a question to ask Mr. Needles, only I cannot ask him how we ran out of water, because this morning we are out of coffee filters.

And no way am I going to ask the water question of a man without his morning coffee.

PS: Thank you all for your kind thoughts about my buddy. he continues to do well, and I would have to say the good thoughts are working.

1 comment:

Karen said...

I absolutely agree with you, I am also always thinking about my next thing. So glad your friend is getting there.