Wednesday 6 August 2008

Humans are like cattle

When I was a kid we lived on the shores of a very deep lake, formed when a chunk of ice fell off the glacier as it was retreating. Ancient soils filled and piled against that great chunk of ice, leaving some of the finest farmland in the world and a very very deep hole which promptly filled up (more or less) and was our own lake. It was ours because it commonly bore our name since only Dad, my uncle and Mr. Potts lived along its shores.

In my childhood it's edges were fenced pasture, and along its steep sides, the cattle had carved trails and paths through the bush that took you right round the lake but for the really steep side. This wild glade of well trodden cow paths, and deciduous forest was my childhood wonderland. Like all childhood wonderlands, you are left with impressions of the world and mine is how animals like to follow along the same day after day. So do people.

Ever notice how you just don't feel settled when your day can't start as usual? Ever feel just a little off kilter when your normal morning isn't your normal morning? My regular coffee buddies are unavailable due to a program upgrade, and I feel like a sweet moo cow without a path to follow.



To top it off, I slept in. If this is not going to upset the day, I don't know what will. Darn good thing I have knitting and very pleasant work.

The same technical problem kept much of yesterday free for knitting. The sweater is positively zooming along. I have another 8 or 10 cm to go till I have the length we want, and then I will start the arm decreases. The top of this sweater is supposed to be reverse stockinette stitch, but I don't know. I have a feeling that I'm going to make it just stockinette. I find I'm not uber fond of the trend to inside out looking stitches.

Looks pretty skinny for a sweater doesn't it. That is one of its charms. No fit issues and still great fitted design. It's other great charm is how simple this is. Mindless knitting at its finest. I can see more of this sort of ribbed look for sweaters in my future.

No comments: