Friday 15 February 2008

Tempting Lace

No, no, that really should be attempting lace, not tempting lace.
There is something about lace at 5 in the morning that does not work. It probably has something to do with the lack of coffee. It also has to do with the problem I have always had with knitting. When I do exactly what it says, knitting does not work.

Now that I understand that all the directions are written for people who knit wrong (Western), I just have to convert the errors to the right way (combined) of knitting.

(Remember, this is my world, you'll get no argument out of me in the rest of the world about right and wrong knitting, my outside opinion is all knitting is right, but this blog is my world, and in my world I can be right and all the rest of you can be wrong, with no harm no foul.)

I'll show you what I mean on the pattern rows only. Alternate rows are simple purl across.

The book reads like this: Knit 1, Knit 2 tog, yo, knit 1, yo, slip 1, knit 1, psso, knit 1.

To work for combined knitters, it should correctly read: Knit 1, slip 1, knit 1, psso, yo, knit 1, yo, knit 2 tog, knit 1.

Charting this simple pattern would make life so much easier, right? Not really. I have a book with charts, and the symbol keys are only defined for knitters who knit western. Chart writers really should address this.

In my world, the directions are all backwards and most of the time I can translate as I go, I just can't do it well, at 5 o'clock in the morning, without coffee.

I'll have some coffee, and then, I think I am going to knit for a while and see what happens.

No comments: