Monday 11 February 2008

Deer Knitting

Deer Knitting,

No really I mean deer knitting.

See? First thing Friday evening, I addressed the need for something to mark the memorable occasion of winning. I think this will do quite well, and the little guy seems very happy, dare I say, perky even, with the improvement in his dress.

As for the rest of that lovely skein, I'm searching for just the right pattern. I took a good hard look at the Mary Webb Knitting stitches book I have, but it doesn't have many of the lacy stitches this deserves. Today its back to the Encyclopedia of Stitchery. There are some lovely things in there, and I do have a fail safe. This search for the right stitch may mean I am forced to buy Barbara Walker's Second Treasury. Wouldn't that be a hard thing to have to do? (Not at all)

I accomplished a lot this weekend. I finished the scarf I have been working on.
I really enjoyed this pattern, and I will find other projects for it. It's a simple stitch but it produced something delightful.

And then becase of those antsy fingers, and the fact that my workbag really is falling apart, I took out the booklet I got from Son 3 and wife for Christmas, and sat down and began a new bag.
The yarn is Red Heart Super Saver colourway, Fleck, and a basic black Super Saver to the contrast. I had a couple of fits and starts, but in the end compromised between a bag shape, a stitch from the book and a size I wanted to have. I came up with this. The bottom is oval and it is wider than most of the bags in the booklet. I won't have enough yarn to make the handle I originally planned (from the book) so I'm opting for just a basic double strap. All the parts are complete, and tonite, I'm going to work on the innards.

With the oval shape, I hope to get nice end places for the water bottle I use to hold my dpn's, and the other for whatever socks or other small projects I may be carrying. Between the two end pockets, I will have side pockets, one of which I hope will function for my purse things, and the other for the bits and peices, scissors, tapes, calculator, for circular needles, whatever that I may need o carry seperate from a project. In the center will be a nice big place for the one big project I usually seem to carry. I'm waffling right now about putting a pocket on the outside of the bag. You know, you can never have too many pockets and yet, the more you have empty, the greater the chance that they will fill with junk.

The really nice part of bag making is that if I don't like it, I can take the lining out, and redo. If it works but over time I find I keep saying, I wish this was..., well I can fix that too.

1 comment:

Sandra said...

I LOVE it! Too funny...