Saturday 2 February 2008

Blogger's Silent Poetry Reading

This just seems right. It could have been my friend CP who knows about such things, or perhaps my friend Mostlylurking who simply loves such things, who who directed me to this poem. I don't recall. I only know that it says everything I want my socks to say.


"Ode to My Socks" by Pablo Neruda


(translated by Robert Bly)


Mara Mori brought me


a pair of socks


which she knitted herself

with her sheepherder's hands,


two socks as soft as rabbits.

I slipped my feet into them


as if they were two cases

knitted with threads of twilight and goatskin,

Violent socks,

my feet were two fish made of wool,


two long sharks

sea blue, shot through


by one golden thread,


two immense blackbirds,

two cannons,


my feet were honored in this way

by these heavenly socks.


They were so handsome for the first time


my feet seemed to me unacceptable


like two decrepit firemen,


firemen unworthy of that woven fire,


of those glowing socks.

Nevertheless, I resisted the sharp temptation


to save them somewhere as schoolboys


keep fireflies,


as learned men collect

sacred texts,


I resisted the mad impulse to put them


in a golden cage and each day give them


birdseed and pieces of pink melon.

Like explorers in the jungle


who hand over the very rare green deer

to the spit and eat it with remorse,


I stretched out my feet and pulled on


the magnificent socks and then my shoes.

The moral of my ode is this:


beauty is twice beauty

and what is good is doubly good

when it is a matter of two socks


made of wool in winter.



I've read about Blogger's Silent Poetry Reading day, St. Brigids Day before, but was reminded of it by the Yarn Harlot.

No comments: