Thursday 24 January 2008

Hats

Since this is my first hat attempt, you'd think I'd worry a little more about fit. So far, I'm following my usual practise, of going merrily along, and waiting for utter disaster when I try to deliver the product. Let's just say my idea of how much hat his head is going to need, reflects an absolute blindness to size. I think I have demonstrated my disconnect from reality so far as size goes before. If heads fit hats, this hat would need a pin head. Literally.

Thankfully, we found a hat he was wearing and measured for size before I was too far down and I added what I needed. I'm also working in that other green colour. A quick trip to the yarn store fixed any lingering doubts about having enough yarn for hat and scarf, and cured that mild shortage of Mission Falls for the next project.

(It solved other matters too. I should be ashamed, but I feel strangely satisfied. I found the most wonderful Handmaiden Sea Silk, this kit actually, in the colour of the moonlight on the waves. I'm sure I can find reason to knit it.)

The addition of the green is doing something amazing. In a hat where you have darks and brilliants, its out brillianting the brilliant green. What a fantastic colour combination.

The true colour tone is somewhere between the first photo and the last. I'm working the new green in between rows of the variegated Patons Classic.

The new green is ... well darn it all, I've left the band at home. Its a yarn simply labeled Australian Merino, coloured in a tweed effect in varying shades of Granny Smith apple green. While its not a perfect match, it fits in with the varying shades of green in the Patons Classic. In the next round of the variegated colour, I'm going to work in two rows of the new green, then 3 and on up to the end of the hat. I hope to end in the plain brown, and may have to work an additional row or two to get it.

The scarf is going to be re knit to include this new green. Unless of course, sons 1's girlfriend, SS, takes this hat from him. Cause then I'd have to knit another hat.

This is starting to feel like sock knitting. You make one pair and pretty soon, people are asking for things.

Thanks for the good wishes for Son 1. He's had surgery to clean things out and get rid of the infection, and hopefully he is on the road to full recovery.

1 comment:

Sandra said...

glad to hear Son 1 is doing well. And I LOVE the colours of those yarns - they work great together...