Friday 18 January 2008

Books Needlework, Needlework, Books

I have a deep and abiding affection for reading that competes for time with needlework. Of late, the needlework has won the battle, but the last few days, I have been reading the Phillipa Gregory novel, 'the Other Boleyn Girl'. A very very satisfying read which I will likely finish this evening. I recommend it for your reading lists.

There is a lot of work happening on the shawl, just not as much as usual. Its so chilly in the house I can't bear to get out of bed where it's warm and cozy in the morning. That cuts out a healthy 2 hours of my work time. Still progress is happening. The needles will be full by the end of the day of my nice unsquished stitches, and its not too much farther till the main body of it is done, and I am ready for the edge stitches. This plain and simple Truly Tasha's Shawl, has a lacy bit on the edge, and I'm looking forward to the challenge.

I work on the forest scarf when my hands tire from the weight of the shawl, and that too is growing longer by the day. I'd take a picture, but I left my camera at home. It's going to be a nice long scarf, one that you can wrap around a few times. The single skein of Patons Classic would have been enough to make a short under coat kind of scarf, but longer one that you can wrap around a few times is what this kind of weather needs.

-27C at my house this morning, even if it was only -20 in the city. Verified by 2 different thermometers, and my freakishly cold fingers.

UPDATED: And last night on the way home from work the temperature read -11. Such is winter on the Canadian prairie.

3 comments:

Karen said...

Hi! I was so jealous when I read your description of the weather where you are. I am unusual in so far as I love the winter, the dark evenings and the snow! I often visit Sweden as my brother lives there and I always go in the winter, it is so beautiful. Do you want to swap for a damp, grey Lancashire???

Gina said...

Wow...I just googled your hometown, and I had no idea how far up in Canada you are. That is coooooooold. I can't imagine your heating bill. Hope you have a wood stove! I also did not realize just how far away you live from me :( Keep warm and hurry up with your scarf!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Needles, Caught up on your blog today. Read and checked the links on the yarns. So rather than staying in because it's kind of cold, I'm going to the LYS. Found some intriguing web sites and yarns.
Karen, are you sure you're jealous of the weather here in Canada? Today, where I am, one province west of Needles, the sky is gorgeous, clear and blue, the snow is sparkling white because of a recent snowfall. But the temperature is currently -24 C. I love the sun and the brightness of the snow but I'm not crazy about the cold. On the plus side, I've been waiting for a clear night to try to take some sky pictures. Tonight is looking promising but with a forcast low of -29. GD