Wednesday 21 November 2007

I visited a yarn store, and...

well you know. As expected, I had an incident. But it was a good incident.

It snowed a little yesterday and with the temperatures as they were, and the road surface temperatures as they were, the city was covered in a fine layer of ice. That first icy day, its as if the entire city forgot how to drive in the stuff. Traffic was sluggish to say the least. I arrived early for the course and everyone else was delayed. This meant I had a long time in the foyer, looking at the window display.

For almost an hour I looked at the yarn in their window display. The window display is a corner of the store I don't spend a lot of time in. Those River City Yarns people are tricky and immediately in front of the door are displays of Colinette kits , Handmaiden and Fleece Artist yarns that I am not allowed to touch (self embargo) silks, and then yesterday a little cashmere. Its a mine field at their door, but just to the right sits the needle corner, sort of off by itself, and the more mundane yarns, the more ordinary yarns sit right there, in open sight.

The window display had wonderful yarns. Lopi, Lopi Light, Sandensgarn of all kinds, big wools, little wools, fun coloured wools, wools in intriguing shades of blue and greens enough to satisfy all the shades of the forest.

I picked up some Cascade 220 Heathers in a cross between a loden green and deep rich olive. Its a wonderful ancient mysterious green that speaks of hidden nooks, and river edges and moss. I was such a good customer at River City that I had an anniversary coupon so this entire sweater in wonderful yarn is going to cost less than 65 bucks. I couldn't have done better anywhere.

2 comments:

Sandra said...

that's a great deal! (And yummy yarn...) I take no responsibility for getting you to buy yarn. But I have posted more today...

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you toughed it out in class. I'll look out for her - she sounds wonderful.

mostlylurking