Tuesday 3 July 2007

Stuff I did on the weekend.

Some weekends are just for lazing around(with needles) and some you are actually forced to do something. Like weed, and clean. This gets in the way of things on needles in a big way. That said, I did finish the lace socks. I did find out that even simple lace must be knitted while fully awake (I did a lot of ripping), and no matter what, you use your biggest needle to cast off. For a toe up adventure with peasant heels, it worked fairly well. Not sure I'd do toe up with a peasant heel again though. It seemed counter productive. The whole point of toe up is that you just keep working till you run out of yarn. A peasant heel is done after the rest is done, and you must, of course have yarn. When I thought they were high enough, I had to stop, do the heels, and then restart for the ribbing. I have to figure out a short row heel or a toe up gusseted heel to get a sock I can work on without thinking about it. There ought to be at least one project in the work bag that can be done without a whole lot of thinking about it.

Speaking of work bags, Mr needles did not want to buy the beer on sale with the cool new insulated beer backpack (his brother told me about it), but he did go to the garage, and came up with these.


I was really thrilled to see the long one. Mr needles said I had previously pooh-poohed the long one. That was before I was knitting. With longer needles and larger projects that long flatter shape might just be the ticket.
This means that I am going to have to go out and find some little clear zipper bags to organize everything that is not yarn in the work bag.


While I was playing with my new bags, and cleaning out and sorting the big behemoth yarn basket (only the cat liked it), clearing laundry and sewing area shelves, I came across this.
For any of you Avon aficionados, this is a little kitty is an Avon Cream Sachet. It dates from the early 60's and I think I would have been about 8 or 9 when it was given to me by my mom. The really funny thing was that when I opened it up, it was full of these. Well there was only 5 or 6 in there - I put in the rest of my supply. These date from the 80's, when I last tried to break the spell that was knitting.

I finally put the lace on the needles. A few false starts, and possibly a few more on the horizon, I have no doubt of that.

No comments: