Monday 9 July 2007

Ruffles completed!

The ruffly edge magically completed itself on Friday and Saturday, I finished the pillow. Just when I was about to give up, it was done. That is the best kind of project. The ruffles suit the pillow, they look really nice, just pressed and steamed, but be darned if I am going to starch them the old fashioned way. I might think about spray starch. The soft floppy edges work for me right now. I really am pleased with how the finished product looks.
I also did a bunch of work in sock land. Sock one of son2's socks are complete, but for the heel. At first I was a little disappointed in the patterns the yarn was making (Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock yarn). It seemed tame. The calf has a 4k, 2p rib and that's when things got interesting. As the calf worked up, the purl stitches created a break between the slowly rising green patterns, and made this really neat stair step. If sock 2, which is already on the needles, works out half so well, I will be very pleased.
Since I had an open set of needles, I cast these on with the sale yarn from a few weeks ago. This is not a real softee smoothie sort of yarn. Its a good, firm, lots of cotton blend. I wasn't sure if I was going to enjoy it, but then it started doing this.
How could I not enjoy that? I did a couple more rows on my special project. It's challenging but I am really getting the hang of the stitch and a real feel for how this little thing is going to go. By the next sitting, I think I will feel entirely comfortable.

I have a confession. Friday I was weak. I ordered yarn from Redbird Knits. Some Shepherd Sock Pewter, some Romney Sock Yarn in Cornflower, and then some Meilenweit Cotton Fun will be in my hot little fingers shortly. I also spent way to much time looking at the Romney colourway called Babyface. and then there is Prague. And the two Forests, and well darn it all of them. I can't wait to try these. The first two yarns are for Christmas presents. Really. Honest.

And I ordered books. Hampstead HouseBooks had a bunch of knitting books this month. My library really has nothing on knitting so it seemed right to take care of that.

I spent my lunch hour on Friday looking at patterns for some really nice crocheted sweaters. I have one ready and waiting to work on at home, but I want something a wee bit more dressy for work, too. I have a pattern in mind, and I spent a fair bit of time while knitting dreaming of colours and textures of yarn. I'd really like to try something out of Blue Moon's range of yarns. I am enchanted by their colours. Or Sea Silk. Have you ever felt that? It could make a girl weak at the knees, its so lovely.

No comments: