Thursday 30 November 2023

New Fun or Already on the Needles Fun?

The work is keeping on.  This is the first thing i pick up each morning.  It is just so easy to do.  The pattern is interesting but simple in the nicest way.  I do a couple of rows, which is one pattern repeat and then take a break. I pick it up through out the day, and do a bit each time.



This intermittent approach to knitting big yarns seems to be working.  My hands are doing okay.  Yippeeeee.  You are all probably sick of reading about hands but it is one of those things that colours life.  And since it is going to keep colouring my life, I am trying to sort out how to deal with it long term.  The arthritis isn't going anywhere.

I did keep working on my Pesto Sun Dogs variation.  I love how it looks so much.


The front is finished!  The marker you see is the side seam under the second arm, so there is only a quarter of the bottom left to do.  It feels as if it is taking forever, though each row goes quickly, but there are so many stitches,  And yet, here I am.  Almost done the hem.

There is still lots to do though.  The sleeves need to be done but that is easy and is rather fun.  I am a bit concerned that I am going to run out of the Kelp colourway.  I really needed that second skein.  




As it is, this is what is left at the moment with a quarter of the hem and sleeve cuffs to go.  I want to finish the sleeves with this same finish as on the hem, but if I have to go with a really short bit of ribbing, well that is what I will do.  I only hope there is enough left to do that.  

And, as I said yesterday, socks.  Yes there are going to be two finished pairs of socks this year.  If I can keep this up, that is.


It is such a blessing to be able to knit a bit throughout the day again.  When everything else is done, I can do a few rows on a sock and it feels so right.  

I was watching Pre-Vlogmas videos this morning and Janna, from Finnish Knitting Stories talked about a striped Advent sock she is doing or has done.  I wondered if I should give that a shot, not from an advent calendar purchase, but rather from my big box of sock yarns.  I debated about doing it with things from my ends of previous socks, but I thought this might be more interesting.  Breaking into a bunch of brand new balls and winding off 20 grams or 10 grams and then tossing them into a bag to pick without looking and then to knit a bit everyday on an otherwise vanilla sock.  That sounds like a lot of fun. 

I am still not sure if this is something I really want to do.  There are so many WIPs already but every once in a while, it is fun to stop and just play.  The question is do I go for new fun or on the needles already fun?

Updated to add:

Mina Phillp of the Knitting Expat Vlog is also making her own advent calendar.  Maybe it's a sign.

No comments: