Tuesday 12 September 2023

The Do of the Thing

I woke to orange and pink and deep purple blue cloudlets dappled over the navy morning sky.  It was lovely.  The next time I looked out the window, there was a heavy dark presence hanging over us. It was deep, dark and had weirdly crisp edges for a cloud.   It was as if every sci fi movie of space aliens with their imperious ships closing in overhead was real.  But no.  Just a big, dark rain cloud.  

I am really hoping to do a bit of knitting today.  It should be possible to get in at least a couple of rows.  It would be nice to get it to the next increase but time will tell.  

If not there is always some sewing to do.  

As I mentioned before, I am sewing some long johns and tights.  The long johns are being made of the traditional waffle weave fabric and the tights out of a cotton spandex knit.  I hope.  I am sure that what I make will be wearable.  The question is will they be wearable under pants and dresses and will they look weird.  If they work under regular clothes, I win.  I am not really all that worried about looks, just warmth.  If my family says they look weird, it means I just won't wear them to doctors appointments or shopping and such.  

So far it looks good.  


I have only a bit of the waistband to sew on before I can try them on and do a fit test.  I want them to snug nicely to my legs so the fit will be fine tuned before the seam finishing is done. And once, that is done, I can cut out the other fabrics for more warm winter wear.  

I have just enough of the fabric left for a tshirt of some kind.  I was hoping for enough for a long sleeve undershirt, but all that I will get from it is a tank type shirt.  What will be will be.  Undershirts will be sewn after all the tights leggings, long johns are done. 

Along with the fabrics for said undergarments, I pulled out a very old fabric.  


I was thinking about how old this was and concluded that it has been living in  my fabric stores since before 2007.  I bought it for a dress for work when I was still doing office work and it just never happened.  It is a lovely soft knit and the same kind of fabric was available last fall, so it isn't even out of date.   The colour is such a basic deep red and that too adds to its timelessness.  I have another piece in a forest green as well.  I plan to make a Hexham Dress with this piece, with long sleeves and a turtleneck.  Lots of fabric to do that, I think.

Well, time to get on with it.  I could babble on for hours more about plans, but if I did, I would never get to the DO of the thing and if I never get to the do of the thing, I could never free my mind to wander through all the things I want to knit.    

No comments: