Wednesday 13 September 2023

Folk Things

I had the most delicious lunch yesterday. They were left over from Marcus' birthday supper. I am not sure what Luda calls them.  Many of the names we use here in Canada for Ukrainian foods are considered the Russian names so I get confused.  All things considered the name does not matter.  Only the delicious food.  They are a raised dough baked meat filled dumpling.  And they are so yummy.  


I had them with mustard mixed with a sweet Thai chili sauce and they were so good. Luda is a very good cook.

I played a bit with knitting on the sweater, but then I played with socks.  


This is my variation of this sock from Folk Socks by Nancy Bush.  As ever, lace is like knitting music.  The rhythm of the lace just sings as you knit along.  It was hard to put down.  I was having so much fun, I missed where I was going to do the heel.  Rather than pull it out, it will have an afterthought heel.  

I am not really certain that this is going to fit me.  I really ought to put it on a cord or a longer needle and give it a try on.  So far, all I can tell you is that it fits my sock length card, which should mean it will fit me.  It is quite a stretchy lace, but it does have changing stitch counts and sometimes, there just are not a lot of stitches on the needles. Cassie may get a pair of socks out of this.

When I stopped knitting, I pulled all of Interweave Folk series books that I own off my bookshelves.  

 


I had a lovely evening meandering through these books.  They are filled with techniques, history, interesting stitches and so many lovely patterns.  Sometimes I forget the riches that live on my bookshelf.

I have made some of the designs Folk Shawls and have two projects on the go, one from Folk Vests (The Scandinavian Star Vest from Mondays post) and the one above from Folk Socks.  I really hope to use more of the designs.  

No comments: