Monday 5 June 2023

A Good Time

I had a wonderful day today.  When it started out, I was feeling a little down.  I think I was missing Cassie and the sounds of a busy house.  

I stuck to my normal chores even if I did not feel like it and suddenly the laundry was done and it was only 10 a.m. and I magically felt like doing something fun.  I didn't want to knit all day and damage my hand again, so I decided to sew.  

I decided to sew my linen and cotton dresses.  I could really use some sleeveless comfortable airy dresses if summer is going to be hot.  I purchased some lovely dusty blue linen and a piece of embroidered cotton in a rich deep turquoise and another time, ordered another piece of linen, this time in a soft green.  I am using the Ashton Top pattern and just going longer on the A-line sides of the top.  I did that on a test with a black and white floral and it worked wonderfully well.  

I cut and sewed the blue linen and it is almost done.  It looks great and all I have left to do is the bias trims around neck and arm openings and the hem.  The trims may be completed by hand sewing. I haven't quite decided.  It isn't my favourite easy quick way to finish things, but I only use back and white thread to sew with these days.  Unless I want the bias finishes done with a visible white, I have to hand sew.  

The plan is to sew all the dresses first and then do any hand sewing so tomorrow, I want to get the the cotton dress cut out and sewed and maybe even to cut out the green linen.  I would do the linen first but I realized that I had not yet washed that batch of fabric.  It is in the machine now.

While I sew, I may also get the lovely knit fabrics ready.  They need to be washed and prepared for sewing too. Summer is barely started but I know how fast time flies and it is a heap of sewing that needs to be done before winter.   It is so much nicer when everything is just ready to sit down and start sewing.    

Pictures tomorrow.  There just was no time today. 




No comments: