Wednesday 6 October 2021

Not the Big Bear, but the Little One.

I would have to go back to my blog to see what I was going to knit with this yarn back on my Epic Adventure.  I do not remember, but I am so very very glad that it did not get knit at that time.  

I started this morning, doing a swatch to see what kind of gauge I got in a fabric I liked.  this is an odd yarn, odd in that inside my head, it is a bulky yarn, but it really just a heavy worsted.  It is Harrisville Flax and Wool which I have had in the deep stash for some time.  (but haven't they all been there for a long time).  I found my gauge and it just did not work for the first Ursa**or in my world, the Big Bear.  I was sad, but,  I had a vague memory that there was more.

I searched through all of Jacqueline Cieslak's patterns and there it was!  Ursina.    Ursa for bulky yarns and Ursina, little bear, for worsted and sportweight yarns.  You can knit this sweater in almost anything.  


I cast on and within a very few rows, I completely understood why everyone talks about this sweater and why everyone enjoys knitting it.  There is something to do on each row, but it it is all repeats of the same thing to make for some really simple knitting.

I have completely fallen in love with the Half Brioche detail that trims the raglan increase lines as well as down the back and a panel on the front bottom.  I tried to get a good picture, but it just hides away.  Look for the longer looking stitches.  It really is just one of those perfect little details.



And I love the yarn.  It has a sort of dry feel, like silk often does, but it is so soft and airy.  I just cannot wait to wear it, and honestly, I even now, I can see myself knitting another after this one is done.

So not the big bear, but the little one.  It's a good thing.

No comments: