Tuesday 5 October 2021

A Big Dig

Because I had the house mostly in order, and have no large tasks needing doing. I decided to do the big dig today.  The big dig is a task that was put off all summer and because it is very much part of my anti moth strategy, it was the most urgent thing on my calendar.  So dig!

My stash is mostly ordinary wool yarns, the kinds of things that I could get in any yarn store even now.  Oh the names change and colours shift through time, but a good wool yarn is a good wool yarn.  As plain and as ordinary as much of my stash is, I feel each and every regular yarn is just the best thing in my world outside of my family.  

Each time I dig, I am a tiny bit overwhelmed at just how much I am emotionally connected to my yarn.  It isn't just stuff.   It is past, and future and the worst of times and the best of times.  Then I dig in it and play in it and shift it around looking for different things, I am awash in memories and I can put myself in the place and time that I bought it.  I almost always recall what sweater I bought it for too, not always but often enough to surprise myself.

This is just a bit of my dig, going into each box to check that everything is stable that there is no bug frass in the bottoms of the containers, that all the bags are fresh and sealed.   



This is my one shallow box remaining. The rest are all the big deep tubs.  It is filled with Kauni and Dt. Denis Boreale that didn't fit with the rest of either of those yarns.


My bag of mohair yarns.  I had a couple things to pull out from here.


I need the cream to use with a very pretty lacewieght from London and my neice's stash for the lace part of a love note sweater.  I am so looking forward to this knit.  And these beauties, 


because the whole point of getting this very large skein of Bird of Paradise Silken Mohair was to knit a Sommerfeld Shawl , using the very strong colours of Kid Silk Haze I already had in my stash.  I need a brilliant deep blue green something and I will be ready to knit.

And then this.  Sigh.  


There was a time when I forgot how much of this marine and acid green Einband I had. I was going to knit with it last winter but I just couldn't find it all.  I located the other two balls of each colour a few weeks ago, and I want to get them all back to gether so that when I want to knit my Courant shawl, I have the materials.


My Tove.  And not even the precious box of Tove.  This is the other Tove that I hope will net me a sweater using the gorgeous patterns from this sweater  (yes the stunning patterning from the cover garment, just not the shape)  A dark gray and the blue will, I hope show off the beautiful design.


My other and most precious box of Tove, some of which will be used with some Kauni this coming winter.


Some yarn for a hat I fell in love with, bought the pattern, went out and bought some yarn to knit it and got home to find I had the exact yarn and exact colour selection it was originally knit in!  I would love to have a hat of these pretty colours.


A big box of singles or small quantities, otherwise known as scarf yarns.


A large cone of sportweight BFL to use with some of the ever so gorgeous Mid Knit Cravings yarn I bought earlier this summer.


A little Rowan Felted Tweed, a little Mini Duett from Sandnesgarn, a little Knit Picks in plain colours.


I meant to knit this on my Epic Adventure, but it did not happen.  I think I want to knit an Ursa sweater with it.  


Odds and ends of Silky Wool that magically make a surprisingly lovely fall combination.  I think a shawl if I can find a design that works with my colours.


Coned joy.


More coned joy.


Sedate Mission Falls


I see a shawl.  What do you see?


Some Three Irish Girls to be used with a stash of navy Cascade 220 for a nice winter cardigan.


All the dark gray Regals put together, awaiting  a plan.


That little bit of dark Custom Woollen Mills Mule Spinner two ply to rework the neck on one of my sweaters from last winter.


And yet another bit of Tove!   

Which just makes me laugh.  This was the very start of my big dig.  The photos loaded opposite of how they were taken.  

A few things pulled out to knit, a few things tucked away more efficiently, everything drooled over and given a bit of love.

And not a single bit of bugginess anywhere.  It was a great day.


No comments: