Wednesday 18 August 2021

Centered but...

Feeling a bit more centered this morning, a bit more like I know what they day will be.  

The day ought to have been visiting with Amy and all my other grandkids, but tomorrow will be better for her to get what she wants out of the day so tonight the kids go home and then in the morning when they get picked up, we go straight to their house.  All is good.  Girly shopping for Cassie with Auntie Amy and others will commence.  Grandma kissing chubby toddler cheeks and sweet babies will begin and all my little boys will run and generally get in trouble just as they ought.  

I settled yesterday to starting Cassie's sweater.  I thought I had written about the purple problem for this wee sweater, but apparently not.  

I had one full ball of the deep almost black purple from her original sweater as well as a small partial ball.  When I stash dived last, I pulled out all the other purples that would work for this sweater.  

I have a really gorgeous cashmere and wool single that was absolutely perfect with the Fluro Loco Alegria, and there was enough to do the whole sweater but that yarn was not a superwash and I really feel that a kids sweater ought to be superwash if you want it to be worn in a  working parents houshold.

I have enough Elsbeth Lavold Silky Wool in a lovely deep purple too, but again, the superwash part is missing.  I do have a ton of deep purple bamboo tape sort of yarn but it will not work well with the Alegria.  

So these were what was left.

 
You can see the purple Black Smooshy in the bottom left corner.  Bottom right is a skein of a Colinette sock yarn that matches quite well, but is not a reliable superwash.  And up top, a slighly different tone of purple, a more red purple from Sweet Georgia's Tough Love Sock line.  

Odd as it is, I went with the Tough Love sock.  The colour is a wee bit different but the ease of care and the wearability of the yarn is so important.  I am using the alernate purple in the striping section, two rows out of four to trick your eye into only seeing a harmonious whole purple and so far, I think it is working. 



I didn't use it for the neck section at the top of the sweater and am hoping that I won't have to use too much in the finishing of it. Button bands, cuffs and hems will, I hope all be the dark purple original.  

I'm knitting at a fairly loose gauge.  Cassie is one of those perennially warm people.  I want the sweater to be really draping and to be light enough that she can wear it to school and not find it too warm.  Otherwise, it is a basic v neck with raglan sleeves knit as long as I can using the yarns I have on hand.  

I feel more centered but looking at my glass cabinet full of pretty things, I know I could start a hundred more and not be ready to stop. Centered but not yet settled.  

No comments: