Monday 23 August 2021

And so it goes.

Darn it all.  I had Cassie try this on this morning and I forgot to take a picutre.  She said no go to a second time.  Sigh.  She has this really great haircut too.  I always wanted really curly hair like my friend Adel or really really fine straight hair like Cassie and her mom have, the kind that shows off really great haircuts and where angles of the hair lines work.  I have niether.  Sigh.  She looks really great though.  

But she did put the sweater on and it fits nicley.  




We talked today about how else she wants it.  Pullover she said.  It's a wee bit late for that so I am going to keep going with what I have and will then do buttons atop a sewn closed button band.  she has also asked for short sleeves, not real short but elbow length.  I am really good with that part.  And she also wants the back a bit longer than the front.  So, cool in her sizes too.

I'm just going to keep pushing on this garment for now.  I got fabric for the farmer shirt she asked for.  



She has good taste, my granddaughter.  She does.  Hers is the classic red and just in case Marcus asks for something, he can have blue.  If not, the blue will be a great addition to my own slowly growing wardrobe.  

My sewing pretty much came to a stop over the summer.  Oh well.  I have summer fabric for next year and if I just keep picking away at it all, I will have most of the things I wanted sewn before next summer.  

The sewing for this fall and winter has to start shortly, once the kids are back in school but it's okay.  There isn't nearly so much of that.  I have a couple pieces for warm shirts, both very pretty plaids and I want a few more warm pants.  I will have to purchase a bit of jogging fleece for them, but there really isn't much other fabric I need. I may cave and get some more t shirt type fabric to make a few more long sleeved undershirts like the one I already made using the Torrens pattern.  I do have a couple turtlenecks that are pretty new but my gosh I love that shirt, but I have a few shirts that do that job and till they die, it will have to do.

I made that first as a test muslin but it has become one of my favourite things.  I didn't want to start cutting pretty fabrics without knowing what the pattern fit like or how I needed to cut it for myself.  I cut to top to fit my top closley and the bottom to fit my hips.  It's a stretchy fabric so I figured it would at least be wearable no matter how I like it.  But it really worked well, and that was a real bonus for me.  It did show me that it was not how I wanted it to be for woven fabrics and the woven fabircs have been cut quite differently.

Fabric for more legging style pants for cozy under layers?  Check.
Fabric for dressy pants to wear with my pretty sweater? Check.

While I do hope to sew some in the fall, I remain as ever all about the knitting.  Sweaters are my winter clothing.  I have these few small things to finish and then I want to get to some good warm sturdy winter things.  I have the pretty Quoddy Blue Agate Cove to knit and I have some B & L Heritage too that really deserves to be knit.  I have some sturdy green Cascade Eco and a red too that will be just what I need for warm sturdy wear this fall.  

After Christmas there will be time for lighter weight yarns and pretty things from delicate silks and linens, but fall and early winter?  It is all about the heavy warm garments.  

Apparently mitts too. Marcus has asked me for gloves with the finger tips off them.  Such wee hands.  Probably, because he asked.  We shall see.  I was kind of thinking mom needs a par to go with her cowl.  I have the yarn and it would look stupendous in a simple fingerless glove.

No comments: