Wednesday 26 May 2021

You just never know

I did knit yesterday but in all honesty, I am not really energised to knit.  

I'm energised to sew.  It isn't really a problem because I do need clothes but before I get deep into sewing again, I would like to have a few knit projects under my belt.  

I really would like to finish the shawl so it was ready to wear.  And yes I did have to order more of the cream.  With all my usual places busy with orders, it can take a little longer to get things into the mail.  That's okay though.  I have two more skeins to knit my way through before I need the one or two that will take me to completion.  That should keep me going till I get the new order.  

I did work on it yesterday but I also spent a great deal of time sitting thinking about sewing.  I watched videos that were sewing related.  For instance



Amy describes what this feels like for me.  Clothing was not a problem as a teenager.  I knew my style then, but fashion and sizing bias led to many many years where it was not just hard to find but impossible.  Would you like it if you could shop at only one store?  Amy Beth is so openly and honestly open hearted. So much truth in this video, but also a conundrum.  I already have an overall pattern.

It was the second pattern I bought when I started this sewing adventure.  I have always loved overalls, but they have simply been unatainable for large women.  If they had been available even in my much more slender post high school, pre marriage days, they would have been mine.  But they had gone out of fashion then and when the ones I had in school no longer were wearable, I was without.  And I have been looking, in a subliminal way, for them ever since.  

When I found Helen's Closet, after being led there by the Knitgirllls vlog, the first thing in my basket was the Yanta Overalls.  I love the back of these.  I actually love the back of the York Pinafore more but I can add a skirt to the Yantas easy enough.  What would be much harder would be to put pants on the bottom of the York. You see, I love the pinafore style of dress too.  So the Yanta design went into my cart and came home.  

But I wasn't sure it was right.  It seems it needs a zipper and man, I think I am seriously post zipper, you know?  I couldn't see how I was going to convert it to elastics.  I also started to worry about going to the bathroom.  It has to be quick and I wasn't sure I could make these go off fast enough.

This new Otis overall has a tie in the back and will be an easy change to elastic.  Plus, one of the things the amazing Amy talks about is putting these on and off , which is certainly a huge consideration for me.  She also talks about how she would add elastic to the straps and while that would work, I have figured out how I will add elastic so that on and off are just not a problem for those rushed times where one really needs speed. 

My big fabric orders are on the way and should be here by next week, finally.  There was a delay with one thing I had ordered (a knit picks cable, I bet) so it has left me in limbo a wee bit.  My fabric for a  few things that I really want to sew are in there, some dresses, and some fun bright summer things.  The debate rages now in my head though, will any of these be right for overalls?  I don't know.  

This afternoon, I think I am going to go through a couple pieces of fabric to check and see how much I have of the various things.  I did a few pieces a few weeks ago, but this time I am looking for four metres so that I am sure I have enough for overalls and a bit of a comfort zone.  If I can find a piece with lots and there should be a couple, then overalls here I come.  

The possibility has crossed my mind that lack of fabric may lead to shorter pants, clam diggers or something like that. You just never know where this goes.

No comments: