Tuesday 23 March 2021

Thinking, Always Thinking

Tis the season for lighter weight knits.  And oncee the blanket and giant Shetland Shawl are complete, my lightweight sweaters will get some love.

Still there are things to think about and decisions to be made, particularly about this sweater, my version of Ysolda Teague's Threipmuir.


All the colourwork is complete and the sweater is a few rows below the armsyce.  It is time to put some thought in about the body of the sweater.

Briggs and Little Sport is a single and singles sometimes bias when yoou knit in the round.  I have knit a fair bit with Sport before, enough that I consider it one of the best yarns on the planet but all my knitting with it has been back and forth or small diametre in the round.  Sport works wonderfully well in both those situations.  In the round would only exacerbate any desire a yarn has to bias.

The question before me is this:  Do I want a project that I really like in a yarn I love to suffer possible failure because I did not pay attention to one of its principle attributes?  The quick answer is no, but at the same time, I am not keen to suddenly start  knitting a front and a back.  I have spent some time here and there reading notes on Ravelry about sweater projects knit in the round and bisasing.  No one comments on it on the project pages.  I think it is likely that people finish and never update their notes.  There are not many comments about it on the B&L forum either.   

I have been debating what  to do but I think I am going to knit it back and forth.  I know it seems weird and it is going to take a bajillion stitch markers to track increases and the like, but if it gives me a better sweater, I have to be good with that.  

The bonus is that the rows will feel much shorter than a round would so perhaps it won't feel as if it is taking forever.    

No comments: