Tuesday 16 February 2021

The Last Days of the Big Dig.

The big dig was finally complete yesterday afternoon about 4 p.m.  The results are fantastic.  Two very large tubs are emptied as well as the open top Ikea boxes and the last of the odd smaller boxes of yarn.  Everything is now in big tubs.  


Well that explains where the other half height box went.  One smaller box.  Plus the big box from before Christmas of blanket yarns.  I do not mean for that to go in the closet at all.  I mean to move that sucker around the room till it is all knit up.

To be fair to myself, the last two days were just play, trying to find more large shawl yarn combinations.  I found a few more groups but each of them would need the purchase of another yarn to really tie it all together.  That really isn't what the search was all about so they will go back into the box and will await the perfect patterns.

Taking all that time, an entire week, to just dig in the yarn was such a lovely vacation of sorts.  I did such a little bit of knitting and yet, every waking moment had to do with knitting.  I feel refreshed and inspired and reinvigorated by all my lovely things.  I love my yarn and am glad I have it.  Never feel guilty about what you have unless you do not love it.  It you love it, it is good.

A lot of the other time was fixing some of this kind of thing.  This is part of my beloved Tove stash,

 
Tove:  that which will combine quite perfectly with all Kauni and will be the basis of may wonderful things.  Tove is one of my precious yarns.  The yarn was in the original bags from the warehouse and those bags had small holes in them.  I have been lucky with all my stored things, and have never had any issues, but it felt like the right time to rebag the yarn into well sealed Ziplocs.

That also gave me time to pull yarn for a sweater which I would like to knit using these lovely balls of Kauni Wool 8/2 Effektgarn in the EF colourway. 


This was so difficult to get proper pictures of.  Imagine the rich depth of the first picture in the tones of blue, green, and purple of the second.  There is no grey in it and no brown.  It just likes to take photos that way.

I saw a sweater with a very simple motif in two colours of Kauni, one this and the other in the brown gradient colour, where each complete large snowflake design row changed the colour of the background.  One time the background was the EF colour and the next time, the browns.  As the background changed, so of course did the motif colours.  Here.  Have a look, Tronderkofta.  Sweet heaven I love that sweater.  

I bought the Kauni on a good sale from Tradewinds (Lucy Neatby's, now sadly closed) a while ago, but I didn't want to pay full price for the browns if I didn't have to and since then, I realized that I had Tove that would do admirably, and that this was the perfect use for my precious yarn.

With all the digging in the yarn stash last week, things were let go around the house.  This week is tidy up week and baking week and doing the things responsible adults do week.  Sigh.  The memory of the big dig willcarry me for a while till it is time to do it all again.

No comments: