Thursday 11 February 2021

Day Three, Buried in Yarn

Now comes the fun part.  Or Day three, buried in yarn.

Most of the boxes are back in the closet.  There are three stacks of sweater yarns which generally means, sportweight and up that still are things that will be made into sweaters and vests.  


It looks weirdly tidy.  So unlike me. 

The fourth stack will actually come out of the closet and is going to play part in today's stash dive games as will the couple bins that have yet to be filled with pretties.  The inspiration cabinet is also going to get a good go through and will play part in todays games.  


 One of the things about my stash is that most if it, the very vast majority of it is for clothing. Even some of the laces are there with a sweater goal in mind.  Other than Socks That Rock and HandMaiden or Fleece Artist, I have never been a huge consumer of specialty hand dyed yarns. A little here and there and certainly with my purchases of Adam and Eve for sweaters lately, but it isn't a stash with hundreds of skeins of hand dyed sock yarns.  I have a thing for Noro.  I have a thing for Zauberballs.  I just never felt much of the hype that others did.  Hype generally leaves me cold.  

The last several years, there have been some fantastic shawls and garments that were designed for those with that sort of stash.  Things like Joji Locatelli's stunning Starting Point   or the Bambara Wrap by Ambah O'Brien   or the brilliant colours of Goldfinch by Andrea Mowry.  These things used four or five or even six hanks of sock yarns and could shrink a giant stash of glorious hand dyed specialty yarns in one fell swoop.  And I wanted them.  I coveted these shawls.   

This big dig always had a purpose of getting things in order and back in the closet, but it was also to pull out yarns that I wanted to work with soon.  I pulled sweater things out the first day of the dig but today?  Today is where the fun comes.  Serious fun.

The goal is to find coordinating yarns for a Starting Point or one of a series of large delisious shawls.  It is going to depend on what I find and what works well together.  I know I have stuff that can do it even if it isn't today's trendy stuff or the hot thing of this very minute.   

I shall play with the cool kids.  Okay probably not that.  I have never been part of the cool, only the outer margins of cool, a hanger on.  But this is my knitting and I am going to knit it my way with my yarn and I will shout with glee when it is done.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Needles!

I have heard you talk about "Zauberballs" before. What are they? I've never heard of them.

Fay