Monday 21 December 2020

I have to tell you a secret.  Tomorrow the day will be six seconds longer here than today.  And the day after that it will gain 13 seconds.  And th day after that, 21.  And so on, all the way to June.

Isn't that a wonderful thing?  

At this darkest time of the year, I always think to how ancient mankind particularly in our very northern parts of settled lands, celebrated this time of year with feasting and drinking and a whole host of merriment.  And so it continues to this day.  We celebrate with feasting and joyous gifts given to our loved ones and to us.  

Today, I am working on the feasting part of things, making some poppyseed rolls for everyone.  The landlord and I are going to try making some sausage rolls too.  The dough itself is not sweet and while it isn't a flaky kind of dough, it should work beautifully for all sorts of sweet or savoury fillings.  Today, though, just poppyseed rolls.  

I have a few gifts to wrap and a few odds and ends to finish, but I am ready for Christmas.  I am still relaxed about it too and that is very different than years past.  I hope you are feeling that way too.  

It is a different sort of Christmas this year and that isn't bad, just different.  If your spirits are down, put the fire on TV and pull out your prettiest knitting book (I have many) and listen to the fire and look at lovely things.  If you have a fireplace in your home and you use it, wonderful.  If it is a wood fireplace, even  more wonderful.  

Sit back and close your eyes and listen to the crackle of the wood.  It pops and snaps and you can hear each flame wavering and starting.  It is kind of a waste that we fill the world with noise and have forgotten how and why to just listen for the long haul. That is what I wish for you this season. I wish you find the time to discover listening. 

As usual, this blog is going to take some days off between now and the end of the year.  There may be occasional posting if I find something I want to say. Meanwhile, 


Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from my heart to yours.





1 comment:

Brendaknits said...

Merry Christmas Denise. Sometimes when I am tired or my hands ache, I read about knitting rather than knitting. Almost as much fun.