Monday 16 November 2020

Of Sock Monkey Cabin Blankets and Gray

As you can see the Sock Monkey Cabin Blanket is coming along wonderfully.  I may not feel that I knit much last week while the short people were here but there was progress enough.  



And as you can see, the denim blue looks great!  I wasn't really sure about that but now, with more than a little edge of the marl,  I think any colour would work.  There is an antique purple in the large balls of Red Heart Comfort that would look smashing and in a soft brown or forest green, it would be wonderful.  I am not a hundred percent sold on antique purple and the red stripe, but I would probably come around to it.  

It looks great, and I could gladly knit this a second time for Scott and Amy, but for one thing.  Amy has seen  the sock Monkey in the charcoal and she loved it.  She loved it so much, she almost kept it for herself.   I think staying with the dark rich grey is important because I want her to love this one just as much.  The problem with that, as I mentioned before, has been getting the charcoal.  It hasn't been available for months.

I ordered a grey from Mary Maxim, a long time supplier of interesting stuff, from the same big brand acrylic yarn company, but you know how it is after your order?  Okay, maybe you are not afflicted with this, but I keep going back  and thinking maybe there is a better one.  Maybe I ordered the light grey, not the dark.  Maybe...maybe, maybe.  I could maybe me to death.  

The gray original and the interloper




I put them together so you can see for yourself a bit better.  They are very different.  The interloper is quite a bit lighter and that just raised the worry level up.

And then I did this.


After this stage I felt pretty good because when both samples are put together


I can tell them apart right here, but this picture makes me want to place a bet that Amy won't really see the difference, unless she holds it next to her mom's blankie.  It is going to be just fine.  

The really happy part is that I could order what I needed in one fell swoop.  No note that it was out of stock or low stock.  

Oh oh, I just thought of something.  I found out recently that I am going to be a grandma again come spring. That makes them a family of 6.  Which means nothing except the ideal blanket needs to comfortably cover the whole family.  I think I need to cast on just a few more stitches.  Two more skeins are on the way.

And I think I know eactly how I can use the leftover charcoal gray.  Baby Sock Monkey Blankie!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A new grand-baby coming your way - how wonderful. There is nothing better for a grandmother is there. Your grandchildren are so lucky. I hopefully will get my chance one day.

Fay