Monday 9 November 2020

From Almost Nothing

Last week you saw this.


It was kind of encouraging to me to see it, because I felt like I had spent no time at all working on it.  Inside my head, it felt as if the cummulative time spent working on it, I ought to be no father along than the red rows.  As you see, I was a lot farther along.  

Which is why, when I spent the entire weekend working on the sweater, not even thinking about working on the blanket, this happened.


This is the blessing of working on a project where you hold two stands together.  Plus, it requires no thinking at all, once the first row is cast on and the rib is established, and yet that rib means you are always doing something different.  It hardly feels like you are working at all, as if you create something from nothing.

I am expecting to get a lot of work done on it over the next few days.  I have some little visitors.  




One of my family cohorts is here while they have school break.  Their mom is working on an away jobsite right now and their dad is alone at home, but is also working.  The lady who was babysitting last year has a brand new baby and the after school care isn't available either so Grandma's house was the only option for fall break.  I do suspect the break, which isn't quite the usual comes from 2 extra days the teachers are being given for stress relief plus the Remembrance Day break and likely a couple of days that are more normally for marking report cards. Grandma expects to be busy.  Ish.  They are both so grown now that it is almost not work anymore.  

They will have some outside recess time (recess for grandma) in the afternoons, weather permitting, and we have a plan for making crafty things starting tomorrow, plus baking:  cookie baking,  cupcake making sub buns, hot dog buns and bread for our suppers and lunches. We will be busy.  There is also a portion, not too big of course, of the day devoted to electronics, but after that, there are markers and pencils and colouring books and tons of paper to draw on. 

Besides, in this house, first guy to say I'm bored has to do the dishes. That's the deal.


No comments: