Wednesday 4 November 2020

A Little Knitting, A Lot of Fun

I did knit a little yesterday. The trouble since I switched to metal tips on my needles is that I have to be a bit careful just how much I do on the sweater.  I bought the Addi short tip lace set because I like the sharper tip but over time I have found that short tip stresses my hands somewhat ever since the great tea cozy event of  2017.  I was thinking about ordering some long lace tips yesterday but I don't know.  Do I really need them or should I go back to the bamboo tips I have and knit slowly?  Needs thinking about.

The day however was not without a myriad of pleasure.  I stash dived.  It was marvelous.  

First things first.  I dived again because I had not found the Quoddy Blue Regal.  I had found a range of supporting colours, but without the Quoddy Blue to set them against for photos, there was nothing to be done.


Found.  And tested.



The dark gray as a third colour.


And the medium grey.

The clear winner here is the medium grey, though my mind still does wander to the blue I used to have.  Yes, that is confirmed now.  The heritage blue that I thought would work is all gone.  I have so many other colours of this yarn that I hate the idea of purchasing more.  I tried the range of purples I have.  The original is knit with Fundy Fog, Lilac and white and I have the two purples but not in quantity to knit Agate Cove.  They were both nice, but did not quite work when I took all the colour out. And so Medium Grey wins. The real test, as always in colourwork is the swatch, so that will come in the next few days.  

I just kept on digging since there were boxes all over anyway and I stuffed my display cabinet with glorious things.  


I pulled out these two yarns. One, the ball, is Handmaiden Rumple and the other is Handmaiden Maiden Hair.  These will be a warm long cowl.  I am thinking of something like the Bandana Cowl, but with a longer neck tube so that it could be pulled up and over and be a be all and end all cosy thing.  I may or may not use both yarns.  We shall see what happens!


I also pulled out this skein of Madrastha Silk.  I think that is the name.  It is lovely and so soft.  Pure silk but not with the gloss we usually see.  Just the soft beauty of a more raw look silk.  It would be a perfect Huj Tub.

I took out a yarn for a a few other things but they really are far in the distance things.  I just wanted to look at the yarns truth be told and I couldn't put them back!  And then socks.  

Socks, the start and the end of all my knitting.  I haven't completed a single sock since February.  I don't quite get it, because I do need socks, though lately sock knitting has not been where my inspiration lies.  That usually means there is a problem with the colours of what I am working on, though what I have on the needles aren't that bad.  Perhaps it is more that I just have so many other interesting things on the go.  Still  I deserved a good dig in the sock stash.


It is joyously colourful even before the plastic is opened.  I dug and turned to my hearts content and pulled out a few skeins to recharge my close to me sock stash.  



There.  Doesn't that just make your hearts go pitter patter?  It does mine.  These aren't the fancy sock yarns, these are just ordinary simple things, but they bring me such joy.  Maybe it is time to see if sock joy will round out this year and make things so much better as they usually do.  

And that sort of was my day.  A little knitting, a lot of fun.

PS, just a little wave out to Fay and Brenda and Christine and anyone else who still reads blogs including this one.  Thank you.  I appreciate you and I think of you more than you know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Needles - Looking at all that lovely yarn is putting me in the mood for Christmas knitting and hot coffee. I am so amazed at the depth of your stash and just love the colours you bring out. Definitely a yarn stash I hope to aspire to one day.

Fay